Driving in Europe – General Advice
Are you planning on hiring a car when you next go abroad? As much as we’d all like to just jump in the car and get going, there are several things that you need to keep in mind and tick off!
Have you got the following documents?
- Full valid driving licence
- Vehicle registration document
- Travel insurance
- Motor insurance
Make sure you check with your insurer and your policy that you are covered to drive abroad.
It’s important to carry certain items in your vehicle when driving in some European countries. It’s not only sensible and beneficial for you, but some countries issue on the spot fines if you don’t have compulsory equipment. For example, in France it is now the law to keep a certified breathalyser in your vehicle.
- It’s an obvious one, but double check which side of the road you’ll be driving on
- Plan your journeys and use a SatNav to help navigate you
- Invest in a GB sticker to fix to the back of your car
- Stick to the local speed limits – you don’t fancy discussing a speeding offence with broken English
- Carry an EHIC card so you and your family can have emergency medical care if necessary
- Prepare for long journeys by giving your car a thorough service – avoid this extra time and cost by hiring a fully maintained vehicle
- Check the details of your breakdown cover. You may not be covered in other countries
- Are you travelling with children? Remember, in the European Union children under 1.35m must use an appropriate car seat for their height and weight
- Many European countries now prohibit the use of speed-trap detection devices. If you’re one step ahead and own a device such as this, check whether your destination allows the use of it
- Regardless of what country you’re in, you should be driving safely. It’s not easy driving on the other side of the road, so take extra precaution when you’re on move!
Hiring a car and choosing to drive abroad saves money on public transport, gives you the freedom to explore and allows you to take in the scenes around you in your own time. We offer overseas car hire with a range of vehicles suited to your needs. Feel free to get in touch to discuss which vehicle would be best for your trip.